ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING…
PLEASE TAKE ACTION & DEMAND CHANGE
Many feel helpless and hopeless after another terrible tragedy of a mass shooting in America.
The Las Vegas shooting was the 162nd mass shooting since 2009. (The FBI defines a mass shooting as more than four dead, excluding the shooter.)
33,000 Americans die by guns annually, many with handguns. Sandy Hook, Orlando, San Bernardino, Columbine, Aurora....now Las Vegas.
But we can do something. Remember how Americans stopped the bad healthcare bills in Congress this year?
We CAN demand change when it comes to commonsense gun laws. Great change starts with small steps. Here are some ideas:
• Contact Congress regularly; demand commonsense gun laws. Note that Senators Feinstein and Harris and Representative Raul Ruiz support commonsense gun laws. When you contact them, thank them and urge them to demand more and to vote against lax gun proposals.
• Demand your City Council enact gun-safety ordinances, like Palm Springs.
• Demand that Riverside Sheriff and police departments enforce California’s gun-safety laws.
• Join a gun-safety group such as Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, the Brady Group, or Americans for Responsible Solutions. These groups want gun owners to be responsible and to help keep guns out of the wrong hands.
• Donate. (Michael Bloomberg has been triple matching gifts to Everytown.)
• If you own guns, secure them, separate from bullets, to ensure children can’t find them and shoot themselves or others. To ensure your guns are never stolen.
• Start a local non-profit, including with gun owners, to educate and inform. Oregon citizens did that after a mass shooting; now they educate, inform and distribute free gun locks.
• Research the NRA proposals on silencers, armor-piercing bullets, and concealed carry. Question the rationale. If you agree that the proposals are irresponsible and dangerous to community safety, cancel your membership.