Letters To The Editor Of The Desert Sun In Support Of Gov. Newsom And Against The Recall
The following articles were published in the Letters to the Editor section of The Desert Sun. They were written by DOD members to explain why they support Gov. Newsom and are saying "NO" to the recall. Feel free to use these messages when talking to friends; sending in email to your contacts and networks; and on your social media sites. Thanks!
Even if you don’t like Newsom, vote no
Why you should vote no on the recall, even if you don’t like Gavin Newsom:
1. He has done NOTHING illegal. If it is a policy dispute you have with him, he is up for re-election next year.
2. The process is undemocratic and sets a terrible precedent where a tiny percent can install a new governor. Remember, Donald Trump was president with less than 45 percent approval rating for four years. He never got to 50 percent approval.
3. If Newsom is recalled, the lieutenant governor by right should replace him, not a candidate with small support.
Eileen Stern, Palm Springs
Why not wait until next year?
I am at a loss to understand why California Republicans weren’t willing to wait one year, for the next statewide election, to put forth a serious candidate for governor and appeal — based on policies — to a majority of California voters.
Instead, they want to take the helm of our state government, at a cost to taxpayers of over $200 million, with a person who might get into that office with 10 percent of the vote, or even less. It’s getting hard to believe they believe in majority-rules democracy.
Don’t sit this one out — send a message — vote.
Anita Rufus, Palm Desert
Vote No On Recall
Ballots for the Tuesday, Sept. 14, California gubernatorial recall election will be in mailboxes soon. Please join me in voting against this purely political effort to overturn Californians’ votes for Gov. Gavin Newsom, who was elected with a margin of 69.2% of the vote.
Newsom has governed through unprecedented challenges — under the unstable Trump administration, the horrific and shifting COVID-19 pandemic, historic drought and wildfire seasons, a disturbing surge in white supremacy and continuing disinformation. Newsom is, by far, the most qualified leader to keep California on a pathway to progress and wellness.
This is important: The recall ballot will have only two questions:
(1) Should Gavin Newsom be removed from office?
Please vote no on Question 1. And do not vote on the next question.
(2) If Gavin Newsom is removed, who should